twitter




Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Hip Surgery?

Hi - I amlooking for opinions on total hip replacement. Did you have one? What was your experience? What do you think about ceramic... metal on metal and metal and plastic?Thanks.
Answer:
The price of hip surgery is very low in India as compared to USA, UK and Canada. My cousin also got her hip replacement surgery in India through the forerunners healthcare .She is more than very happy with the results. She is totally pain free now. She just paid 25% of the amount she was quoted in USA and is all praise for this forerunners healthcare company.
Forerunners Healthcare is very famous in India. I read a lot about them in the Newspapers and magazines. I have read a lot of their patient stories also. They arrange financing for USA, Canadian, UK and other international patients who plan to have surgery abroad for low price, as all joint surgery is not covered by insurance in USA or by NHS in the UK. They also have photos pasted of their International patients. You can checkout their website. There are huge cost savings. As a doctor I personally believe that your surgery can be easily handled in India, as the quality of healthcare available In India is simply best in the world. The surgeons are USA/UK trained and facilities are 5 star.http://www.forerunnershealthcare.com...
Hope this helps.
Yes, I had both my hips replaced.
I have described my experiences with this surgery in depth as I have answered many questions about it on Y!A. If you'd like to read more about it, please see my profile and my answers to questions that pertain to hip replacement.
The "gold standard" of a hip replacement has been metal/poly for many years. They work very well in less active (usually older) people. The problem with them can be that they wear fast in more active (and usually younger) people and may require early revision surgery. For this reason other more durable materials have been devised for bearings. One of these materials is ceramic/ceramic. If I were getting my hips replaced today, I would definitely at least ask about ceramic. Another is highly crosslinked poly.
There is a concern with metal/metal bearings and the issue of metal ions in the blood, especially in women of childbearing age. However they are very durable also.
I don't think anyone still uses metal on metal nowadays. Metal on ultra high molecular weight polyethylene(UHMWPE) are most commonly being used now. THRs have better success rate than TKR but still, it is recommended for the older age group(60 up) unless there is no other remedy but to use the replacements in younger individuals. If you are less than 60, ask your orthopedic doctor for alternatives before undergoing THR.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
vc .net