twitter




Sunday, October 25, 2009

Help! I can't stop slouching, is there any exercises that i could do to help my posture?

I play on the computer a lot and I tend to slouch, I always try to sit up straight but I always end up slouching again. Please help with any suggestions
Answer:
It's good that you are aware of your slouching and correct it when you notice it. Thats half the battle. There are exercises to help build the strength in your upper back/shoulders called T's, I's, and Y's. They are so named because you will make the shape of the letter with your body. Lay on your bed face down, roll up a hand towel and put it under your forehead (this aligns the neck and keeps you from squashing your nose!). Bring your arms out to the side so you make the shape of a T. Raise and lower your arms 10 times. Next move your arms into a Y shape and raise and lower 10 times. Next move your arms straight forward (so they almost touch your ears) into an I shape and raise and lower 10, next bring them down to your side (palms up) also an I shape and raise and lower 10 times. Do 3 set of 10 each day.
Concentrate on your core. Sit ups/Crunches...hanging knee raises..reverse woodchop w/ a medicine ball
My doctor told me to stand up and balance a book on top of my head for 15 minutes a day
theres a chair i have that really strengthens your back. theres one part that you put your knees on and the other part is for your butt.
yogA
just sit up.
whenever you notice yourself slouching, just lean back against your chair.
hope this helps. :)
It might sound barbaric, but tying or taping a board to your back and shoulders is about the best way to deal with it. If you have a board tied to you, it is really hard to slouch. Either that or go see your doctor about it and see if they have a brace for you to wear.
Take a hanger, put it upside down inside your shirt on your back. The straight part should be across your shoulders and the hook that hangs down the middle of your back.
Yoga or pilates.

1 comment:

  1. The comment about tying a board to yourself is aweful since it will prevent you using your core muscles. A slouch occurs when your core muscles are not strong enough to hold you up straight. Look for core muscle exercises in your favorite search engine. Many sports help with these muscles also as mentioned yoga/pilates.

    ReplyDelete

 
vc .net