twitter




Sunday, October 25, 2009

Help! I'm a nursing student.. How do I get over the fear of giving shots?


Answer:
First of all, congratulations on being a nursing student!I will be starting my second semester in nursing school in August.I had the same problem as you with giving shots. All through clinicals I never got the opportunity to give a shot. Everyone said try practicing with fruit, so I did. I found that ripe grapefruits are as close to the real thing. My brother-in-law lets me give him his shot every two weeks. So, I hope this helps... ripe grapefruits, and try and find someone you know who will let you use them as guinea pigs. If anything just use a pen and simulate the steps such as positioning. I tell you...even after several months of giving my BIL his injections I still feel a little twinge of fear but I tell myself, "You know the steps, you know what to do...get over it."Good luck!
My roommate in college was a nursing student and she practiced on oranges a lot. Just do it until it doesn't feel scary. You can desensitize yourself to it.
aim close your eyes open half way shut open at the end
get some fruit and practice over and over the technique. trust me. giving shots will be the least of your worries. you will look back and laugh at yourself.
practice subcutaneous injection
and intramuscular
meds like lovenox givin subq are different than other injections. it is giving in the abdomen, you do not aspirate and you do not massage the site.get really familiar and comfortable and you will be the best.
You will in time, a very short time. Just put your training to work, follow the steps every time and do it right. The more you give the better. Practice does make perfect.
Good luck, love a nurse PRN.
I'm a first-aider, and although I don't have to give any shots I used to be a little squeamish at the sight of lots of blood. Hopefully the mindset technique that worked for me will work for you too.Try telling yourself, "If I don't do this, this person is going to die" even if they're not. You'll hopefully find that adrenaline will kick in and you'll find it a lot easier. After a while it'll just become second nature to you.Hope this helps. Good luck with your studies.
Ive been dibetic for 24 years I became dibetic when i was 3 years old Ive never gave a shot to another person but i started practicing when i was 4 or 5 by giving a shoot to a stuffed animal that was i could pinch up like you would on the skin of a small kid then I moved on to fruit to get use to what the texture would be like. If you have a fear of giving a shot to another person my suggestion would be to give yourself a shot
You are in the wrong field, simple as that!
Like anything else is life..doing it repeatedly. Someday you'll wish that was your biggest fear.
This is going to sound completely unhelpful, but, the only way to get over any kind of fear in nursing is by repeatedly doing it. It really does help to practice on something like an orange. For IM's practice aspirating, so, you find a technique that works for you. Sorry wish I could give you the magic answer.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
vc .net